- Being free of duties or obligations – all participation is optional.
- Voting in Community Council (CC) elections annually.
- Running for election to and serving on the CC.
- Becoming a Facilitator, Coordinator, or holding other EmbodyDance positions.
- Voting on significant issues via referendum.
- Attendance at CC meetings (as non-consensus participant).
- The challenge of CC decisions via an Action of Eight.
EmbodyDance was established in the spirit of membership and full community ownership and operation via consensus decision-making at community meetings. Over the years, that gave way to a representative “government”, which, as community participation waned, ultimately was isolated from community input and oversight. To restore the founding intentions and enfranchise the community legally, we, the current Community Council – which is now the legal board of the corporation, are re-writing our legal documents to include formal membership, which is open to all who attend EmbodyDance. This is a work in progress through 2018. The following is a draft of the Rights of Members per the new, as-yet unratified bylaws: