We co-create safe, sacred space in a shared container for each EmbodyDance and have established these Community Agreements through which we intend that all may feel welcome and included. At each sign-in, we acknowledge and agree to uphold these:
- Respect boundaries.
- Sacredly sober.
- Dance barefoot.
If you are new to Dance or have not reviewed these in some time, please read in full:
- “Safety begins with me”: When we agree to the Release of Liability waiver at every sign-in, taking full responsibility for our own safety and well-being, we are also, within an intent to participate in community, taking responsibility for everyone’s safety. This means we move with control and care, feet below us, keeping our eyes open unless still and stationary, and communicating clearly with others – involving or following the directions of the Coordinator in case of any conflict or emergency. Safety also has emotional and values dimensions, so we are sensitive to not transgressing other’s limits while exploring and perhaps challenging our own, taking responsibility for creating our own felt safety.
- We respect boundaries, our own as well as each other’s; (a) We heighten our awareness, tend to our own needs and are sensitive to the expressed and implied needs of others. We communicate clearly and watch for other’s signals, respecting each person’s right to their “yes”, their “maybe”, and their “no”, however given. Obtain consent! We may choose to dance alone or to participate in the ever-changing possibilities of interacting with others – from one-on-one to larger groups, bowing out with gratitude when done; (b) Contact Improvisation dancers are part of our family but are not exempt from respectful sharing of space or from assuming others want to participate; (c) What happens at Dance stays at Dance: we don’t assume any connection extends beyond; (d) We also don’t assume that our discomfort is caused by another, remembering it may be an opportunity to do our own inner or inter-personal work; (e) If boundaries feel violated, we take responsibility for ourselves and then, remembering that our stories and judgments and projections are our own work, if appropriate: communicate to the other with a “stop!” signal (open hand chops onto the other or open hand up), invite that person off the floor to discuss or approach and clear after Dance, or ask the Coordinator to step in on our behalf or to mediate a resolution (a warning may be issued if warranted); (f) The CC may also be asked to intercede if there is an egregious or repeated violation and a period suspension or ban may be issued.
- We maintain non-verbal communication, connecting (or distancing) through our body’s language, singing, or non-verbal vocalizations – which we keep non-alarming and respectful, not acting out our feelings but consciously moving them through. If we need to have a conversation, we take it off the dance floor.
- Fragrance-free space: We are mindful of those with chemical and other sensitivities. We do not wear colognes, perfumes, essential oils, or other products with synthetic or natural fragrances to the Dance (or we wash them off upon arrival, which may be requested by the Greeter or Coordinator). We also come clean and with good hygiene as to not contribute overwhelming personal fragrance, however natural.
- Alcohol and Drug non-intoxication: We honor safe and sober space in order to be mindful of ourselves and others on the dance floor. If you are perceptively “under the influence” you may be refused admission or asked by the Greeter or Coordinator to leave.
- We dance barefoot or with soft feet (dance slippers, or non-street/non-marking soft shoes), and take all care to protect our precious natural wood floor. Socks are discouraged as the floor is slippery and one has less control.
Release of Liability Waiver Language on the Sign-in Sheet:
“Release of Liability: I understand that participating in EmbodyDance (ED) involves physical movement and, to whatever extent I choose for myself, strenuous physical exercise which carries risk of injury or harm to myself or from others moving in proximity. I understand that I must assess my own capabilities and limits with respect to all activities at ED and regulate myself accordingly. I take full responsibility for myself, my actions, my safety, boundaries, health, and general well-being. I will inform the Coordinator prior of any existing injury or other condition that might affect my ability to participate and any that occur during my attendance, for which I accept full responsibility. I hereby waive and release any claim for injury of any sort for any reason against EmbodyDance, Inc. or any person or entity in any way involved therewith, including without limitation its principals, directors, contractors, agents, members and participants. I have carefully read this Release, fully understand and agree to its terms, and freely sign my name in acknowledgment:
Community Agreements: I have read, understood, and agree to uphold these, incorporated herein by reference, and sign to affirm:”
When we sign our names on the sign-in form at every Dance, we are agreeing to the terms of the Release of Liability waiver and to these Community Agreements, as amended.
Posting and notice policy:
- Updates emailed via MC to full community list.
- Short list posted in laminated large type on sign-in table (with full list au verso).
- Full version also kept in Greeter binder for handout and posted on website.