Sign-In Table, Money, Deposit Sheet
The Greeter is the representative face of EmbodyDance for most people who attend or inquire. You welcome the Dancers, communicate for sign-in and donation, answer questions, and then tally, organize and record the money and numbers.
- This service position earns a donation request waiver on the day of service. Approximate duration: one hour (6:00 pm to 7:00 pm)
- Please arrive by 6:00 pm. If you are late, the Coordinator may replace you without notice. If you can’t make it or know you will be late, please call the Coordinator (whose name is shown next to the date in the Facilitators & Coordinators schedule on the website homepage, and whose number is on the confirmation email you will receive after sign-up) or, if at least 24 hours in advance, email email@example.com. If you can find a replacement who is experienced at the job, please inform the coordinator.
- Please endeavor to be up to date on special events, general affairs of the organization, and the occasional changes in procedure that will be reflected in the current version of the following lists, as posted on our website:
- The Set-Up volunteer or Coordinator will put out the table and Greeter bin (or you may).
- Please cover the table with the cloth in the Greeter bin.
- Take out and arrange the cashbox, laminated Release and table signs, light, pens, card punch tool, binder, and orient yourself to all required tools and materials.
- Count the money in the “FLOAT $40” envelope in the cashbox; it should be $40 – but record the actual amount on the Deposit Calculation sheet if not.
- Organize the bills into the cashbox top tray.
- From the binder, take out a full set of the Sign-in sheets (two double-sided pages stapled together, and load them on the clipboard. Fill in the date, your name, the Coordinator, and the Volunteers.
- Take out a Deposit sheet and fill in the top data, keeping the sheet at the ready to record punch card sales and checks, anomalies, notes, etc.
- Also be familiar with the other contents of the binder(s), such as our business license and legal materials, which must be produced if requested; child waiver form (for holiday dances), Volunteer job description sheets (for hand-out if asked), incident report, etc.
- Locate the punch cards envelope (in the cash box) and have at the ready if anyone wants to purchase.
- Correct the names of staff and volunteers on the small whiteboard with whiteboard marker as needed and lean it against the wall.
- Check that there are a few earplug packets in the cashbox (the main supply is in the back cabinet). Put a couple earplug packets out on the table and offer them free of charge.
- On dark (winter) evenings, set up the light near the sign-in clipboard.
- Only EmbodyDance materials are displayed on the table, no private flyers. This is also the case for the CC notice board and all other EmbodyDance elements. Anyone who wishes to make announcements may do so at closing circle.
Welcoming, Sign-in & Donations:
- You are the “face” and emissary of EmbodyDance as people come in off the street to attend or ask questions, preferably standing and engaged in the Dance.
- Please welcome everyone warmly to our sacred space in a spirit of silence or a quiet greeting and direct them to sign in.
- First Timers: If someone seems new or has questions, ask if they are, and if so point out the guidelines pages on the table; then have them read the laminated Release of Liability statement, pointing it out at the top of the sign in sheet when they sign in. Guide them to tick the “1st Time” column. Also inform them that we do not request a donation for the first Dance – though all donations are of course welcome. As you conclude, you can tell them there will also be a guidelines orientation between the warm-up and wave. If they require more conversation, please step out with them or ask the/a Coordinator or a CC member to do so.
- Most people know how much they intend to donate, but for those who ask, indicate something to the effect that “the requested donation is $12-15, but any amount is acceptable and appreciated”. We accept cash or check (please record the name, check number, and amount of checks on the Deposit sheet), and there are PayPal options also.
- The punch card is $88 (current set price minimum) and waives donation requests for 8 dances. Record the buyer’s surname and number on the card envelope and also on the Deposit sheet. If more than $88 is donated, write that amount on the card.
- If asked whether we accept credit cards, point to the table sign instructing payment and donations via PayPal, which can be done on the spot by scanning the QR code with a phone. Record any PP payments or the presentation of any PP receipts at the bottom of the Deposit Calculation sheet in the provided spaces.
- If you need to speak with someone for more than a few seconds, please step into the side room or outside the door to hold the conversation and ask the Coordinator to stand in if dancers are waiting in line or arriving. Likewise, for bathroom or other needs.
- If someone smells noticeably of perfume or essential oils, please explain that this is a fragrance-free event and space and ask them to please wash it off (or notify the Coordinator if there’s any resistance or push-back).
- If someone smells strongly of alcohol or drugs or you perceive is significantly under the influence of same, please call the Coordinator to discuss with that person. It is left to the discretion of the Coordinator to allow that person in or to ask them to leave.
- If you are unsure about anything, ask the Coordinator, and please defer to them if the request, as they are the person ultimately responsible for the Volunteers, safety, etc.
- If a dancer has a problem you cannot easily resolve, direct them to the Coordinator.
- If there is any indication of a disagreement or conflict or safety issue you cannot immediately resolve, involve the Coordinator.
- During any free moments, work on the administrative and recording tasks, such as filling in what you can on the Deposit sheet, so there is less to do later.
- Please maintain your station until relieved by the Coordinator, usually during the first song and after they have attended to the space, at about 7:00.
Additional Sign-in and Donation Guidelines
- Youths 13-18 are signed in with guardian and donate. Children 12 and under are welcome at public holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.) dances if those land on a Thursday, and by exception to be decided on a case-by-case basis by the Coordinator.
- EACH TIME a youth or child dances, the guardian must sign a Child Waiver form (in binder).
- Everyone must sign and print their name on the sign-in sheet and fill in the relevant columns before going onto the dance floor. Please watch for those who do not complete this task. It is important that their printed name be legible. Don’t hesitate to remind them to print. This is for legal reasons.
- A donation is asked of each dancer (even if they are late), the standard being $12-15 or a punch card ($11 value per punch). (The donation is not a requirement, it is a request, as we are a non-profit with a policy of no required fees for participation.) Checks should be made out to “EmbodyDance”.
- Use a separate money box compartment for each type of bill ($1, 5, 10, 20). Have the heads on the bills all face the same direction for the ease of the person making the deposit at the bank.
- Some dancers, mainly the Facilitators, Coordinators, and Community Council Members record a Work Exchange in place of a donation, checking that column at sign-in.
- If someone starts dancing without signing in, including Facilitators, please ask them to sign in, or notify the Coordinator. This includes the senior staff mucketymucks who might appear to think they don’t have to.
Sale and Recording of Punch Cards:
- Record the payment on the Sign-in Sheet ($88 or more) as a regular donation.
- Record the four-digit serial number of the punch card on the Deposit Calculation sheet, have the purchaser write their card number in the Card Punched column on the Sign-in Sheet, and fill in their contact phone number on the punch cards envelope. Write their name, yours and the date on the front of the envelope.
- Don’t forget to punch the card if they are dancing.
Seems like a lot, but not so hard once you do it. And you’ll get all the support you need to get it right.
For experienced Greeters and in agreement with the Coordinator: Deposit Calculation Sheet and Final Money Handling, Break-down:
- Please finish the counting, recording, and clean-up within 15 minutes after the closing circle. (You may also work on this quietly during the closing circle.)
- Organize the cash by denomination.
- Our bank Depositor person appreciates it if you stack the bills all facing and oriented the same way. Banks want this.
- Count out $40 from the smallest bills available (no coin) and place in the envelope marked “FLOAT $40” and put back in the cashbox.
- Finish totaling the Sign-in sheets columns and record sheet totals at the bottom of each Sign-in page, sum the page totals to get Sign-in Sheets Grand Totals on page 4.
- Then record the same grand totals on the Deposit sheet for (1) Attendees – which is usually just the highest line number on the sheets, (2) Cards Punched, (3) First Time Comp, (4) Work Exchange, and then, consistent with the Card Punch Envelope, the number of cards sold, along with card number and surname of purchaser.
- Record the Sign-in Sheets Grand Total for donations received on the Deposit sheet at Sheet(s) Grand Total. If everything went to plan, this number should be correct.
- Count and record the value totals for each denomination of the remaining money on the Deposit sheet—coins, $1, $5, $10 etc., and then checks, entering the check number and surname. Calculate the CASH total, subtract the Event Cost (usually $75, unless the Coordinator indicates otherwise) to get CASH net, then add the CHECKS total to get (6), the Deposit Total.
- Place the Event Cost cash in an envelope from the cash box marked “Event Cost” and give to the Coordinator with the deposit bag (but not inside the deposit bag).
- If the Sheet(s) Grand Total is different from the physical money count yielding the Deposit Total, record that difference on the Deposit sheet Notes section at the bottom.
- If the starting total was not $40, record the actual amount on the Deposit sheet Notes section at the bottom.
- Also Note any exceptional donation, either high or low (but not $88 card sales).
- Tri-fold the Sign-in Sheet and Deposit sheet around the stack of remaining money and checks and put the packet inside a fabric bank bag (from cashbox).
- Give the envelope to the bank Depositor person (Raphael or his designate). If that person is not available, give to a 1) CC member (preferably the Manager), 2) Facilitator, or 3) Coordinator in that order.
- Put the cashbox and binder and signs and everything that came out of the Greeter bin back inside, then back in the EmbodyDance cabinet. You’re done.
Thanks again for your service!